By Kristin, Director of Magic at Celebration Shirts
Florida stays warm for most of the year, which is great for planning vacations to Walt Disney World. So there really isn’t a bad time to go! Summer months, however, can get pretty warm. Don’t let the temperature deter you from going to see the Mouse in the summer! I have some ways for you to beat the heat in those hot summer months!
1. Go to the parks early in the morning! Early mornings in Orlando can be cooler and parks aren’t as crowded, so you can get more done. Do the rides that are outdoors (Big Thunder Mountain, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, etc.) as you'll find smaller lines early in the morning, too. You'll cover more ground in less time, and since it’s a bit cooler out, standing in lines outside is much more bearable.
2. Rest in the afternoon. Take an afternoon break. Go back to your resort for an afternoon nap, take a dip in the pool, or even resort hop! Whatever you decide, taking a break during the hottest part of the day will help recharge your battery as well as get you out of the sun for a few hours!
3. Stay late. This goes along with resting in the afternoon. If you take a break in the afternoon you will be able to push through until the park closes, which in the summer can be midnight or later! The lines will be shorter in the late evening hours and with the sun going down, it will start to feel cooler out!
4. Hydrate! This is probably the most important tip. Drink lots and lots of water! Even when you think you’ve drank enough water, drink some more! With it being so hot you will lose a ton of water throughout the day so it’s important to hydrate yourself. All Counter Service restaurants will give you a cup of ice water for free if you ask. There are also water fountains throughout the parks to refill a water bottle you bring.
5. Wear light weight and comfortable clothing. Dressing for the heat is also very important. Wearing light weight, 100% cotton or moisture wicking style clothing. This will help keep you cool while you are walking around enjoying the magical sights of Walt Disney World.
6. Indoor rides/shows. To help combat the heat, go indoors! The air conditioner is pumping hard inside all shows, rides and attractions so it’s great to cool off. Some of my favorite attractions to cool off in are Hall of Presidents (Magic Kingdom), People Mover (this is an outdoor ride but it is in the shade and can get a wonderful breeze - Magic Kingdom), Carousel of Progress (Magic Kingdom), Spaceship Earth (Epcot), Soarin' (Epcot), Journey into Imagination (Epcot), The Seas with Nemo and Friends (Epcot), Finding Nemo Show (Animal Kingdom), Festival of the Lion King ( Animal Kingdom), Great Movie Ride ( Hollywood Studios), and Journey of the Little Mermaid (Hollywood Studios). These are all great spots to cool off and get out of the sun for a few minutes!
No matter when you come to Walt Disney World, these are great tips to follow, but they will surely help battle the heat if you come in those hot summer months! Stay cool!